Join Central Texas Discover Engineering in its mission to encourage school children to pursue technology careers by introducing role models from the local engineering community. We are looking for a diverse group of engineers to visit classrooms and lead hands-on activities that demonstrate teamwork and logical processes while discussing their jobs and their enthusiasm for engineering. Come learn about our volunteer opportunities and how you can join in sharing the world of engineering with local students, elementary through high school. See what students are saying about our visits.
4 Steps to Get Involved with Discover Engineering:
1. Sign up with Texas STEM Connections
Volunteer registration IS OPEN. CTDE has partnered with several organizations to create Texas STEM Connections, a web-based tool using the Nepris platform that makes it easy for STEM professionals to connect with K-20 educators, classrooms, out of school time programs, and other volunteer opportunities.
- Create a profile, indicate “Central Texas Discover Engineering” as an organization you’re affiliated with (add details to your profile through the account settings), and browse the requests for volunteers to find a classroom visit request that meets your interests and availability.
- Watch your email and/or your Dashboard in Texas STEM Connections once you’ve expressed interest in a volunteer request and let the system walk you through the process of confirming.
- Use the online help or more detailed volunteer instructions to help create your profile, set up your account settings and affiliations such as CTDE, and get connected to volunteer opportunities.
2. Plan your visit
Once you are matched with a school and confirmed with the request, you should:
- Contact the teacher connected with you to finalize any details or clarify anything from the request;
- Select an activity to bring into the classroom;
- Recruit other volunteers from your company, professional societies, friends if you need more help for your visit.
- Not sure what to expect? No problem! Here is a sample classroom visit that should help, whether you are a seasoned volunteer or preparing for your very first visit.
- Want a turnkey presentation about engineering careers designed with research-based best messaging practices? Check out this resource from DiscoverE.
- Pick up FREE Discover Engineering giveaways for teachers, students, and volunteers during our distribution days. 12 – 1 PM at Life Storage (Burnet & Braker). Email firstname.lastname@example.org if your visit is coming up soon and you need materials. Distribution days will be scheduled soon.
3. Provide Feedback
Once you have completed your school visit please fill out this brief Classroom Visit Feedback Form or complete the online form through Texas STEM Connections so we can keep track of how many kids we reached this year in our Annual Report.
4. Stay Involved
We are always looking for high-tech professionals and educators to contribute to our program, which reaches 15,000 students in Central Texas each year. You can stay involved by:
- Signing up for our email newsletter to stay connected to opportunities and CTDE information.
- Volunteering for other local events
- Supporting other STEM organizations in the region
- Joining a Discover Engineering Subcommittee
Other STEM Organizations
- Greater Austin STEM Ecosystem
- Skillpoint Alliance
- Capitol BEST
- Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME)
- Texas Girls Collaborative Project
- Search for more on via the online STEM program directory