Join Central Texas Discover Engineering in its mission to encourage school children to pursue technology careers by introducing role models from the local engineering community. We are looking for a diverse group of engineers to visit classrooms and lead hands-on activities that demonstrate teamwork and logical processes while discussing their jobs and their enthusiasm for engineering. Come learn about our volunteer opportunities and how you can join in sharing the world of engineering with local students, elementary through high school. See what students are saying about our visits.
5 Steps to Get Involved with Discover Engineering:
1. Sign up
The first step in helping us out is to complete our simple volunteer registration form or sign up for our email newsletter. By signing up to the mailing list, you can make a huge difference in a child’s life. Starting in January, we will send out a weekly email with school assignments and additional calls for volunteers.
2. Select Your School Preferences
Here is a current map of school requests. Help us match you with a school by indicating your school preference(s) on the Volunteer Registration Form and/or the Central Texas Discover Engineering steering committee can provide you with a school assignment, based on your geographic preferences. We will provide you contact information for a teacher and classroom that have registered an interest in a visit.
3. Plan your visit
Once you are matched with a school, you should:
- Contact the teacher assigned to you;
- Select an activity to bring into the classroom;
- Recruit other volunteers by posting an event on our volunteer event calendar and by completing the special online volunteer request form. This online form is a collaboration between Central Texas Discover Engineering (CTDE) and the Women in Engineering Program at The University of Texas at Austin and connects volunteer opportunities with over 900 CTDE volunteers and over 500 UT Austin engineering students. We cannot guarantee a response to the call for volunteers but will use our communications to push the information out to these communities. Complete the survey in whole and make your call for volunteers exciting and engaging and specific in order to have the best chance for success.
- Pick up FREE Discover Engineering giveaways for teachers, students, and volunteers during our distribution days.
NEXT Distribution Day: Friday, March 22, 12:00-1:00 p.m. at Braker Self Storage (2607 West Braker Lane Austin, TX 78758)
FINAL Distribution Day: Monday, April 22, 12:00-1:00 p.m. at Braker Self Storage (2607 West Braker Lane Austin, TX 78758)
4. Provide Feedback
Once you have completed your school visit please fill out this brief Classroom Visit Feedback Form so we can keep track of how many kids we reached this year in our Annual Report.
5. Stay Involved
We are always looking for high-tech professionals and educators to contribute to our program, which reaches 15,000 students in Central Texas each year. You can stay involved by:
- Volunteering for other local events
- Supporting other STEM organizations in the region
- Joining a Discover Engineering Subcommittee
Other Stem Organizations
- Austin Children’s Museum
- Skillpoint Alliance
- Capitol BEST
- Central Texas FIRST(R) LEGOR) League
- Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME)
- Texas Girls Collaborative Project
- Texas Mathworks