The Central Texas Discover Engineering Steering Committee’s mission is to excite Central Texas K-12 students to pursue careers in math, science and engineering through in-class, hands-on engineering activities and collaborative, volunteer-driven initiatives of the engineering and education communities.
Engineers like you:
- Provide hands on experiments that demonstrate teamwork and logical processes
- Discuss their jobs and explain a “Day in the life of an engineer”
- Discuss the reasons they chose engineering
- Can have opportunities to judge science fairs and help at science nights at local schools
We have also expanded our program to include several Community Events. Our program reaches more than 15,000 students each academic year. Our organization consists of a year round steering committee supported by donations of cash, services, and volunteer time from local businesses and the community. Each year we select a prominent engineer to serve as honorary chair and act as our spokesperson in the community. Our goals are to increase the number of students and classrooms we visit each year, maximize attendance at community events and increase our reach to underserved populations.
See our report for the 2010-2011 school year.
Central Texas Discover Engineering is proud to be a satellite affiliate of the National Engineers Week Foundation.
Central Texas Discover Engineering Steering Committee
- Rick McMaster, Ph.D., P.E., IBM
- Jennifer Vargus, IBM
- Linda Barlow, P.E., HVJ Associates, ASCE
- Tricia Berry, The University of Texas at Austin & Texas Girls Collaborative Project (TxGCP)
- Pierre Costa, at&t Labs
- Warren Gill, IBM
- Jose Guerrero, P.E., City of Austin
- Katie Kizziar, University of Texas at Austin
- Ben Kramer, KLRU
- Guillermo Ponce, Applied Materials
- Walter Romanko, 3M
- Lonny Stern, Skillpoint Alliance
- Don Willhouse, P.E., DEW Consulting Engineer
Interested in joining a sub-committee?
Discover Engineering is a regional effort and we cannot do it without the support of our sub-committees members. Each sub-committee is chaired by a member of the Central Texas Discover Engineering steering committee and hosted through phone or face-to-face meetings each month. Let us know if you are interested in joining any of our active sub-committees:
- Sponsorship / Fundraising
- School Visits
- Community Outreach
For more information about joining a sub-committee, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.